Frequently Asked Questions
What is Satori Japanese Wall Finish made out of?
How is it different from Venetian plaster?
Why is it better than traditional wall paint?
On what surfaces can it be used?
How do I keep Satori finishes clean?
Are Satori finishes easy to apply?
What about covering up "orange peel" or other textured wall surfaces?
Does it qualify for LEED points as a Green product?
Do I have to use Japanese trowels?
Does Satori Japanese Wall finishes work with Stencils?
- Satori Japanese Wall Finishes recreates the plastered walls used in Japanese homes, temples and teahouses for centuries, but is engineered for the modern living environment. The Elements and Universe series consists of natural earth sand and the Harmony series also contains diatomaceous earth. All are combined with modern pigment and bonding technology. The earth sand material used in our products has been carefully selected for quality and particle size consistency from around the globe. The earth sand is collected from areas in strict accordance with all regulations from land beneath the clay layer.
- Venetian plaster is a lime-based finish often burnished to create the illusion of European old world marble, travertine, or limestone. Satori finishes are a natural earth sand and/or diatomaceous earth based plaster originating in Japan with a distinctly Eastern look and feel. All Satori finishes can be highly customized to create a range of colors, pigments and textures not attainable with wall paint, venetian plaster, wall tile or clay plaster.
- Satori Japanese Wall Finishes are a great alternative to paint, wallpaper and other wall coatings. Unlike paint, our plasters are very versatile and can be texturized with additives to accommodate any style, from traditional to urban and contemporary.
- Satori finishes are perfect for residential design, home improvement and commercial spaces. Please download the Substrate Preparation Manuals for each series to understand which wall surfaces are appropriate and how they need to be prepared to accept Satori finishes.
- Satori finishes are not washable or "scrubbable", but can be cleaned by dusting, patched or repaired. We offer the Satori Lifestyle Finish in the U.S. market for those wanting a stain resistant surface which can be cleaned with a mild soap and water. We still do not recommend the finishes be applied in areas which will be repeatedly exposed to water and other heavy staining areas such as showers, sinks and directly over a stove for instance.
- Satori Japanese Wall Finishes are relatively easy to apply by hand trowel. We recommend homeowners use an experienced plasterer familiar with applying fine interior finishes.
- The Substrate Preparation Manuals explain how to prepare textured surfaces and orange peel walls prior to applying Satori finishes. Please consult a professional applicator before beginning such a project.
- All Satori finishes are certified SCS indoor Advantage Gold for low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds). Low VOC products help to improve indoor air quality. The products are also a natural fire retardant. All Satori Japanese Wall Finishes qualifiy for 1 LEED point for IE Q Credit 4.2: Low-Emitting Materials—Paints and Coatings.
- No. But we do recommend Japanese trowels, as their flexibility and thinness works best with Satori interior finishes and makes them easier to apply. We offer a set of fine Japanese trowels for this purpose.
- Yes, Satori Japanese Wall Finishes can be used with stencils as long as you do not exceed the recommended thickness for the products. Please consult the application manuals for each product. We have included some samples below made by Victoria Larsen using her stencils.
For answers about the specific preparation, mixing and application of Satori Japanese Wall Finishes, please refer to the Material Safety Data Sheets, Substrate Preparation Manuals and Application Manuals found on individual product pages of the website.
Satori Japanese Wall Finishes are low VOC interior plaster finishes which combine traditional Japanese design with modern luxury. Design or renovate any residential or commercial space with beautiful Japanese plaster finish walls and ceilings in a range of colors and textures. Satori finishes are easy to apply and suitable for contractors, architects and designers as well as anyone passionate about home improvement familiar with plastering. Composed of natural earth sand and diatomaceous earth, they are a great alternative to paint, wallpaper or coatings. Certified SCS Indoor Advantage Gold; applicable towards LEED green building credits.